Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Why Not Question - 'Facing the Giants' Failure?

Before the marriage series begins, I want to share something that is timely, considering the millions who are seeking employment in the current depressed economy.

In March 2009 I was laid off from my job. I was the best worker they'd had in the position, but when things became difficult financially, I was among the one third in the company who lost their job. For me, it was a blessing in disguise. I hadn't been happy there for several months. Plus, I'd originally taken it as a matter or survival - not a career move. A not uncommon place I'd found myself over the years.

However, in the days that followed I felt discarded. Like all their praise and excellent reviews I'd gotten meant nothing. The almighty dollar had won out.

So, almost every night I watched 'Facing the Giants'. I know. I've discussed this film before. However, it helped me through a difficult time in my life knowing that no matter what, no matter how bleak it got, God was still in control. I would love Him despite the economic loss I'd suffered.

As it turned out, my belief it was a blessing in disguise was true. I was exhausted. I'd been doing the work of three people and was burnt out. Granted, I felt a bit lost at first since I wasn't used to having time at home, but I filled it with job hunting in the morning, writing, reading or burying myself in hobbies during the afternoon. I even went on to make a life for myself by joining a local writer's group and other activities.

It was also good for my marriage. I no longer resented spending time with my spouse as I did when I had limited time due to my job. I could drop everything, enjoy being together, and not have my mind dwelling on the dozen things that needed to be done at home.

I also started my writing career and now have several stories published along with my first book.

Now, I have another 'giant' in my life to vanquish. I recently went back to work full-time. It's not a great job. The pay is low, there's no where to advance and what my employer is calling 'opportunity' is just cross training. It's another survival job. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And I'm really tired of survival jobs. I'd been forced into this position far too often. I normally either work in retail, an industry that doesn't treat the employees well and customers abuse them. Or file/mail rooms. What happens is the employer promises there's room for advancement, but once they hire me the tale is - 'Oh, didn't we tell you, we need someone to stay in that position for awhile.'
Bye bye any hopes of a bettering myself anywhere in the company.

Unfortunately, employers look at my resume and all they see is a file/mail clerk or someone who belongs in retail. They have blinders on when looking at my education - I have a BA. I've tutored children in Reading and Math. I'm an excellent trainer and I have outstanding written and verbal communications skills. (sigh)

What am I doing once more? Reading the novelization of 'Facing the Giants' by Eric Wilson. Once I finish it, I will again watch the movie.

It will help me face the giant of 'Failure' who is staring into my eyes.

In my opinion - that is all my working career has ever been.

Will God make something good of it? I certainly hope so. Although, right now, I don't see how. What possible good can come from continual grunt jobs? Other than financial. If that is all they've been, then I've certainly wasted my time. I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment