Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

'Why Not Question' - Jeremiah 29:11 - What does this verse really say?

Of late this verse has been quoted many times. Question is, is the translation being used correct or are there parts being left out? This week's study is on Jeremiah 29:11.

KJV :For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

NIA : For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Amplified : For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace, and not for evil, to give you hope in the final outcome.

NAS : For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

Let's take this verse apart now. (KJV)

For I know (yada - root: to know) the thoughts (machashebeth- contrivance, intention or plan)that I think (chashab - regard, value, compute) toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts (machashebeth) of peace (shalom - be safe or complete), and not of evil (ra - bad) to give (nathan - literally to give)you an expected (tiqvah - expectancy) end (acharith - latter end, hinder part, prosterity, future).

Now, let's put this together in a literal translation:

For I know the contrivance, intention, or plan that I regard, value or compute for you, said the Lord, contrivance, intention or a plan to be safe or complete and not bad, to give you an expectancy for the latter end, hinder part, prosterity or future.

It is also interesting that the verse is taken out of context. When reading the verses before and after, one learns that the Lord was speaking to the those being held captive in Babylon. He tells them they will call upon Him, He will hear, and He will gather them back together once more as a nation.

Is this a verse that is a promise to believers today? Or a promise that has already been fulfilled and is for the modern Christian's learning only?

You, the reader, decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment